Thursday, January 19, 2012

doterra for Dogs


Dogs

Testimonals 

(shared by Rob James)


      Debbie Huckstep

      dhuckstep@comcast.net
Debbie - One of our dogs has had seizures since she was a pup.  She has been diagnosed with epilepsy.  We have done a lot of things holistically to help her but finally this year had to revert to a synthetic drug after she had two sets of horrific seizures that wouldn’t stop.  The vet both times had to put her under and keep her for a couple of days.  It was so hard to see her go through this that we have talked about putting her down if the seizures return though we could hardly bare the thought.

The last few days she has been sick, not eating and very lethargic.  Yesterday she vomited a lot and so I gave her DigestZen and peppermint.  She didn’t throw up after the oils.  But in the middle of the night the dreaded seizures started again.  We have gone through this with her so many times through the years we knew exactly the symptoms and what was coming.  When it goes so far, we know it is going into one seizure after another and the only way to help her is to get her to the vet and put her under.   We always hold her and try to console her. 

My husband had her and said, “Here it comes.  This is going to be bad.”  I grabbed frankincense and lemongrass and rubbed a drop of each on each paw – in and around.  The seizure immediately stopped!  Then I gave her lavender which calmed her down.

We were both in awe the seizures stopped so quickly, especially after reaching the point of “no return!”.   She slept peacefully through the night and is fine today, no nausea, no seizures.   I am very grateful for these oils. 

Debbie (a few weeks later) - During Thanksgiving our dog had another cluster seizure.  We were in Idaho visiting family and she was outside and no one saw her start seizing.  We have no idea how long it had been going on when her sister made enough racket to call attention to the problem.  We got the dog in the house and as before, grabbed the frankincense and lemongrass and applied one drop each to her paw.  Immediately the seizure stopped.  Lest anyone question whether the last experience with the seizures and these oils was just a fluke, there can't be any question now!  These oils are amazing. The only downside for me is that people are sick of hearing me talk about them.  So THANKS for providing a safe outlet for my testimonials.


    Laurie Langfitt
   
 fittbiofield@gmail.com.


Laurie - A family that I have coached on health and nutrition for the past several years called me at 1 or 2 in the am with the entire family yelling and crying in the back ground.  When I asked what was going on the 14 year old daughter on the phone said "Max is dying!  He was in bed with me and started having a seizure.  Now he is stiff as a board."  Max is a weanie dog. I knew the family had recently received their Family Physcians Kit, I had then put Frankinsence on the back of his neck and on his chest.  I had them hold him with his spine against their sternum and find the dogs belly button and point a pointer finger right into where they thought his belly button would be.  I know this sounds weird but it helps the animal to receive some of your energy from your biofield.  I have used this technique many times in emergencies with my horses and clients.  He came out of it!  And has not had another seizure and it has been several weeks!


    Tanya Swanson

Here are some important things to remember when you intend to use essential oils on your dog. 

·
  Dog’s sense of smell is extremely sensitive. Do not apply the oils directly on or around your dog’s nose or eyes. What smells good to you may be very irritating to your dog, especially if he cannot escape the smell. Try the bottoms of the paws (between the pads) or the ear flap or back of the neck. 

·
  Be cautious about using stimulant-type oils with your dog if she is pregnant, ill or epileptic. Research your oil for possible side effects before you use it.

·
  Always dilute your oils and start with the smallest dose possible until you know how your dog will react. Test the oil by holding the bottle out for him and see his reaction. Let your dog decide if he wants the oil! My dog Willow runs to me when I use Balance and Frankincense and I always share with her.

The book, Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals, by Kristen Leigh Bell, has the 20 best and worst oils for dogs. A few examples include:

Best: Lavender, Geranium, Basil, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Eucalyptus and Frankincense.

Worst: Cassia, Oregano, Birch, Camphor and Wintergreen.

Dennis - My dog has been having diarrhea, and yet she somewhat acts constipated at the same time.  I was wondering if anyone else has had a dog do this, and if they treated it with essential oils, and what they used? Any help or info would be awesome!
Mardi - I haven't had to deal with the particular issue with my dogs. However, my Papillion wouldn't let us pet or touch her on her back with out yelping and biting us.  I had read that frankincense has help people with pain and so I dropped a couple of drops on her back, right on the fur, and within an hour she was a ton better.  I think you might try DigestZen on your dog. They are some much like humans and so this would probably help.  I would follow the protocol as if your dog was a child.
Carol - DigestZen works wonders.  What I do is let the dog sniff it, and then rub it on his/her belly.  I also put it in between my dog's toes.  Hope that helps
Amelia - I would suggest DigestZen as I see someone else did as well. Our Chihuahua has epilepsy and I use both frankincense and Serenity on her daily...since doing this she hasn't really needed her meds and has only had one seizure and I believe it was because I had run out of frankincense while waiting to reorder.
Our Pit-bull (yes we have both a Chihuahua& Pit-bull plus a Shih-tzu, go figure and ALL GIRLS...lol) had a tummy ache after being given a ham bone after Thanksgiving and we failed to only allow her to eat 1/2 of it then save the other 1/2 for later...anyhoo when she had this tummy issue I rubbed DigestZen on her tummy and it helped almost immediately. Also, at times she and the Shih-tzu are overly hyper at bedtime so I put a little bit of lavender or Serenity on their ears or paws and it calms them almost immediately and in about 10 minutes they are asleep. I just treat them as if they are children as far as administering the drops etc.
Just as an fyi today I also used our Sanobella shampoo and conditioner on all three dogs and added a little bit of lemongrass (just in case for fleas) and they really smell wonderful and their coats are very soft and beautiful...plus not much itching afterward, which is common and typically an issue with commercial shampoos etc. I know it's kind of pricey but I think I'll be buying these for not only myself but also my pets.


energy4life - I am a TRUE BELIEVER in the power of On Guard, more than ever before. I have 2 standard poodles who go regularly for grooming. In early April, the groomer found a large wart between the toes of one dog. It had sprung up within 7 weeks, as it had not been there at their last grooming. I started treating it with Melaleuca right away, to no effect. It did keep her from licking her paw, but the wart continued to thrive in its nice moist dark hiding spot. A few weeks after their next trim (last Friday), I noticed some bumps on my dog's face. Oh no! There were numerous little warts starting to sprout on her face! Must have been spread by the clippers at the groomer's... I called the vet and made an appointment for Monday.
Next I considered my oil collection, and grabbed the On Guard. Treated the foot with 3-4 drops, and dropped some (carefully) on each spot on her face. She had three treatments--once per day--before we got to the vet. As the vet examined her, I noticed that all the little warts on the face had dried up, and I was able to pick most of them off. The vet was impressed when I told her what I was doing. She agreed that I should continue to treat with On Guard and see what happens. I increased the treatments to 2 per day starting Monday. Yesterday, the wart was half its original size. Today, it is half the size again. Tomorrow, I fully expect it to be gone or close to it. The wart was HUGE! To give you an idea of the size, it would have been like the tip of your thumb including the nail. Yea On Guard!

Ashlie - I wish I had taken pictures of this.  Our dog had a growth all of the sudden on her ear.  It was crazy...it just appeared and it grew really fast.  I had heard from a meeting that someone had a growth on the back of their neck, and they weren't sure what it was, but they put frankincense on it.  So I came home and told my husband about the frankincense he started putting it on the growth on our dogs ear.  Within  2-3 days it turned black, and in about a week you could start to see it shrinking, and about 2-3 weeks later it was gone!  It was really amazing!

Betty - I have a friend who's dog has a problem with a toenail.  The vet says yeast and/or  fungus. The toenail is just flaking off and kind of disintegrating.  The vet said he might have to pull the nail and take the pad too.  My friend definitely doesn't want to go that route. I know you'll have an oil idea for that. 
Carol - I used OnGuard for fungus on my Standard Poodle.  I used a few drops once per day.  It took one week for the fungus to shrivel up to nothing, and it was HUGE when I started.  She even had some small ones starting on her face, and those took only three days to dry up into scabs.  My groomer was so impressed that she got some oils. 

Julia - I used Breathe for a dog that was having an asthma attack. It was a small dog I was dog sitting. The owner said later that the vet told them that small dogs tend to do that. I never heard that in my studies or in the 53 years of having dogs. Anyway, as this dog was gasping for air I am going.. Oh what do I do???? Breath came to mind so I put some on my hand and picked the dog up and held him to calm him down. In a matter of a minute or so he was breathing normally. I was relieved and grateful for the Breathe oil and the knowledge that I have a tool to use!

Annalaura - Has anyone used oils on a dog that is very afraid of thunderstorms and can't calm down no matter what? If so, what oil or oils did you use? Lavender, or something else?
Jan - Try Serenity. The Dog Whisperer uses our doTERRA oils to calm down frightened dogs and he used Serenity on his show. I have used it on me to calm my cat down, just had it on my arms and hands. It worked like a charm.
Janine - I've used a combination of lavender and Balance. One drop of each on a scarf around their neck.
Caroline - I have used Serenity on my little dog a couple of times, it helps a little, her breathing calms down but she still tries to hide during the storm.  The one night I put the Serenity on and put her in her crate with the door open and she stayed there and fell asleep later on and slept all night.  But I find every storm is different as to her reaction.
Lena - I have a Corgi and he's very afraid of thunder so when I know that it's going on I take my Serenity he lays on his back and I massage it on his underside up under his neck, paws and tip of ears.  He loves the time and I enjoy spending time with him.
Sharon - My dog is a bit on the hyper side when in the car and I find TerraShield calms her down.  I just open bottles of oil that I think may help and she "chooses" them.  Sounds weird but it works!  Dogs don't have their heads in the way.

Visit store here


Dog Training Program: Click Here!

5 comments:

  1. I have a small toy poodle that is 11 years old. Recently he had surgery to fix his left knee joint. Now he will not use the leg. I am putting Frankincense on daily, but see no results. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tansy ... thank you for sharing ... sorry to hear of the pain your toy poodle has been going through ... feel it is good you are using Frankincense as this helps to rid the body of toxins ... you may also want to use Cypress and Basil as these oils increase blood flow/circulation to the area and aid in healing ... you can also diffuse Onguard & Frankincense in the room to help reduce toxins ... lemon water increases vitamin c which also aids in healing although I'm not sure if dogs would drink lemon water ... hope your dog continues to heal and feel better <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppermint is also another oil that will increase blood flow and circulation to the area

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any suggestions on treating a shih tzu that has some neurological issues from an old spine injury of some sort. The dog was a rescue and is about 6 years old. Gabe scuffs or sometimes drags his back feet. He does not seem to be in any pain. Would frankincense help? If so how should we give it to him. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne, thanks for your question. Yes, you will want to dilute the essential oil w/ coconut oil and test on your dog first ... then the oil can be massaged into your dog's paws, the back of the neck and on the chest. Try to keep the essential oil away from your dogs nose and eyes as dogs are very sensitive and the oils are strong. Lavender oil will help your dog to stay calm/feel relaxed when applying the oils. Frankincense and Lemongrass oil are great for neurological issues ... some have also found Basil oil and Balance oil to be helpful. Would love to hear how it works.

    ReplyDelete