The common cold is not as simple as the name implies since there are hundreds of different types of viruses that can cause this infection. Each one may have slightly different symptoms. The various forms of flu, like a cold, are also viral infections of the upper respiratory tract but have more severe symptoms. The symptoms commonly associated with a cold can include: cough, mild fever, runny nose, sore throat, or stuffy nose. Some cold symptoms may be confused with allergies but allergies usually do not include a fever and will typically last for a longer period of time.
Oils, blends & products recommended:
Oils & Blends: Breathe, eucalyptus, frankincense, lavender, lemon, lime, melaleuca, OnGuard, oregano, peppermint, Purify
Essential oils based products:
Also consider: AromaTouch, Balance, basil, cassia, cinnamon, cypress, DigestZen, marjoram, rosemary, thymeAntiviral: frankincense, melaleuca, oregano, OnGuard (or numerous other oils, remember the virus can be any one of hundreds) are antiviral.
2 to 4 drops applied topically to the feet, chest, or throat or internally by gargling or in a capsule. (Remember oils taken internally have to pass thru the intestinal walls and the liver before getting into the blood stream whereas topically applied oils are delivered into the bloodstream within seconds.) For internal use with children consider a spoonful of honey with one or two drops of the chosen oil.
Fever: eucalyptus, peppermint topically applied to forehead, chest, or feet.
Nasal congestion: Breathe, lavender, peppermint inhaled via a diffuser or the simple cup and inhale technique.
Cough and chest congestion: cypress, eucalyptus, lime, melaleuca, or peppermint applied topical to the chest or with a lymph massage.
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough sneeze or wipe your nose. Tissues should be discarded immediately in a wastebasket.
2. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Discard the tissue immediately in a waste basket.
3. Run your diffuser often in your home. I know there has been much discussion on our diffuser lately, and we will address that in a blog soon to come. Dr. Hill and other leaders have much to say about that. What oils? On Guard for sure. It was developed to boost our immune systems, and guard us against pathogens. I hear it humming away right now as I write.
4. While we are talking OnGuard, I would also consider rubbing your own children’s feet with OnGuard every night before bed time and every morning before they put there shoes on for the day. Not only is it a bonding experience for you and your children, but it will bolster there immune systems.
5. I would also mist your family’s bed sheets with a mist of essential oils before bedtime. 10 drops of OnGuard or some other essential oil with a ¼ cup of water in a spray bottle – shake well.
6. If there is virus in your area, obviously you want to avoid contact with those that are sick.
7. Put about 1 drop of lemon oil for every 8oz of water you and your family drink. Over time this will greatly strengthen the immune system. In our home, we have not had colds or flu of any significance in over a year since we started incorporating essential oils in our household. And this is one way we have been consistent with.
8. As always, as you clean regularly around your home, use essential oils to clean. Purify, On guard or lemon in a spray bottle used for cleaning will assure pathogen free surfaces.
9. Be aware and recognize symptoms if they strike you or a family member. Immediately begin an essential oil protocol and see a professional if you experience symptoms. Swine flu symptoms are similar to regular flu: Fever, body aches, sore throat, cough, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
10. Make your home a happy place, free from stress. A haven with kind words and positive thoughts. Make a place of safety and refuge. As storms rage on, have your home be a house of prayer, gratitude and love. These are all things we can do that will create of synergy of protection for your home and family.
If you have symptoms:
We’ve talked about it before. Nip it in the bud…Jump on the Genesis train…Strike early and often…no matter what the idiom, the advise is still the same. At the first indication of a symptom, strike back quick and hard.
1. Make 00 size capsules of 8 drops oregano, 5 drops on guard and 3 drops frankincense. Then take the capsules internally twice daily.
2. Gargle twice daily with 1 drop oregano, 2 drops on guard, and 2 drops lemon in 1 or 2 tbsp of pure water. After gargling for 5-10 minutes, swallow the mixture.
3. Oil pull daily with 1 tbsp VCO, 2 drops oregano, and 2 drops melaleuca. Pull for about 10 minutes before expectorating the blend. Then brush your teeth and rinse out your mouth. This mixture may be hot. If it’s too hot, reduce the oregano to 1 drop and add a drop of lemon. You can also consider cinnamon, cassia or OnGuard instead of melaleuca.
4. Always put lemon and peppermint in your drinking water and drink it often. Staying hydrated is an important part of assuring the oils work effectively in our bodies.
5. Consider other protocols for specific symptoms. Breathe to the chest, neck and back for respiratory issues, DigestZen (often in a capsule with frankincense) for nausea or digestive problems. Oregano or cinnamon and lemon as a gargle for sore throats.
6. Make sure the oils you have are doTerra essential oils. Why? They are guaranteed to be sourced from the area’s in which the are indigenous to. They are organically grown. Harvested by correct methods and at the correct time. Distilled by professionals at the correct temperature and pressure. Finally each batch is tested by independent labs for correct constituents content to guarantee efficacy. These methods are key to insuring safety and effectiveness.
7. Diffuse the air that you are working, living and sleeping in. If you are suffering from symptoms, consider oils and blends that will help. If you are trying to quarantine areas of healthy air, diffuse on guard.
8. Do twice daily spinal treatments named the Aroma Touch Technique.
9. Eat healthy mostly raw foods.
10. Get exercise and fresh air where possible.
Experiences and Testimonials (testimonials & info from everythingessentials.me)Jan - I woke up in the middle of the night with the beginning of that certain kind of sore throat that signals a cold coming on. I discussed with myself whether to just go back to sleep and deal with it it in the morning or to get out of bed and take some OnGuard right then. The voice that won the argument was the one that reminded me if I didn't take care of it right then I risked losing one of my best oils stories - that I have had only one 2 1/2 day miniature cold in 14 years.
So I got up, dropped about 6 drops of OnGuard in my mouth, let is slowly spread over and down my throat and went back to sleep.
I woke up this morning with no trace of cold symptoms!!! Yea! My story is still intact!
Protocols folks recommend for children
Rob - For children that can’t take internal treatments, use appropriate oils on their feet, chest and using the spinal treatment. Oils that are an important part of your germ fighting arsenal and that are good to have around are; On Guard, Oregano, Cinnamon, Myrrh, Basil, Clove, Lemon, Peppermint, and the spinal treatment oils. These essential oils have the ability to kill bacteria, fungi and viruses, get down into the cellular level and make things right. Essential Oils are proven natural combatants to boost the immune system and protect us from and combat against flu strains including the swine flu.